Story so Far…
The History of Salwan Education Trust dates back to 5th December, 1941.
Late Pt. Girdhari Lal Salwan, founder, Salwan Education Trust was born in the year 1902 in a remote village of Kartarpur, Punjab, in the family of Pt. Mool Raj Salwan. The family shifted to Peshawar in the erstwhile undivided India.
In the year 1936, due to adverse circumstances, the education of minorities took a backseat in Peshawar. Literacy was at its lowest ebb and attainment of education was very difficult for the middle and the lower middle classes of the society. Pt. Girdhari Lal Salwan, a visionary, vowed to impart free education to all, irrespective of class, caste, religion and creed.
His pragmatism urged him to venture forward dauntlessly and he set up Salwan Education Trust at Peshawar, Pakistan in 1941. Thus, came into existence Salwan Sanatan Dharam High School for Boys and Salwan Sanatan Dharam High School for Girls. These schools, standing tall in Peshawar, till date, are a living tribute to the dynamism of this philanthropic personality who had dared to dream.
Partition unleashed untold misery and suffering. Communal riots broke out everywhere. He supported the minorities in Peshawar and gave shelter to the distressed in his house.
While saving a number of families, he lost his eldest son in the fire of communal riots. He had to leave his native place in 1947, post-partition.
The situation worsened and he came to Delhi bringing with him hundreds of his brethren. With his effort, they were accommodated in tents, in the area which is now called Rajendra Nagar.
Destiny itself had to bow before the resolve, commitment and enterprise of this Great Man. Providing education to the children of the displaced being uppermost in his mind, his untiring efforts resulted in the allotment of a barren piece of rugged land, by the Ministry of Rehabilitation for the purpose of establishing a school. Thus came into being, in the year 1949, the Salwan Boys School building, followed by Salwan Girls School in 1952 and Salwan Public School in 1953.
Today 9 schools are running successfully under the aegis of the Salwan Education Trust
A man of great foresight, Pt. G.L.Salwan had conceptualized partnership in education by introducing the theory of sharing of facilities between Public Schools and the schools for the underprivileged. This beautiful partnership still exists. The schools in the Rajendra Nagar campus are an example of how sharing can help in providing quality education to all, irrespective of class, caste, gender, race, creed and religion.
Many distinguished and eminent personalities have been associated with the Salwan Education Trust-
Shri. Dharam Vira, Retd. ICS officer & Former Lt. Governor of Delhi, Shri. T.R.Tuli, Former Chairman Punjab National Bank, Prof. G.S.Randhawa, Former Vice Chancellor, Guru Nanak Dev University, Justice Hardayal Hardy, Justice Prithviraj, Shri. S.D.Verma, Justice H.L.Anand, Brigadier M.L. Khetarpal, Lt. General. H. S. Seth and Dr. A.S. Paintal, have been the Hon’ble Trustees in the past.
Platinum Jubilee Celebrations
The Year 2016 was a landmark in the history of Salwan Education Trust as it completed 75 years of excellence in the field of Education. A dedicated logo for the same was designed to celebrate the momentous year. Upholding the spirit of secularism, various events were organized in the schools under the aegis of the Trust.